Meet the very best quinoa pilaf you’ll ever attempt! You’ll be able to serve it as a facet dish, or as a vegetarian primary entree, since quinoa is an entire supply of plant-based protein. It comes collectively in only one pan!
What makes a pilaf? A pilaf is often a rice dish that’s cooked in broth or inventory, together with some veggies, so it’s loaded with taste. This model is calmly bulked-up with mushrooms and seasoned with thyme, so it goes effectively as a facet dish for virtually any primary course.
It’s even excellent for a vacation meal!
Elements You’ll Want
What’s in quinoa pilaf?
- Veggie broth
- Onions & garlic
- Salt & pepper
Quinoa is of course gluten-free and excessive in protein, so it makes the right grain (technically, it’s a seed, however it positive seems like a grain) for this dish. And it cooks in simply quarter-hour!
I take advantage of crimini mushrooms on this recipe as a result of they pair effectively with thyme, and I can’t inform them other than the quinoa when you prepare dinner them collectively. For those who’re not a mushroom fan, attempt dicing them into small items!
The feel blends proper into the quinoa, and also you’ll get further B-vitamins in every chunk.
Why You’ll Love It
- All you want is one pan! The veggies and quinoa prepare dinner collectively in a single plan, so that you received’t have further dishes to do later.
- It’s gluten-free. Excellent for these with particular dietary wants.
- It’s an entire supply of protein. Quinoa accommodates all of the important amino acids your physique wants, making it one of many few full sources of plant-based protein.
- It’s loaded with veggies. I can’t consider a extra scrumptious technique to eat veggies! They get extra-tender since they simmer away with the quinoa, so it additionally tends to attraction to extra choosy eaters who won’t need a variety of “crunch” from their veggies.
- It’s flavorful. The onion, garlic, and thyme will make your private home odor like Thanksgiving.
The leftovers are even scrumptious chilled the following day, for a simple packed lunch!
Find out how to Make It
1. Saute the aromatics. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a big skillet over medium-high warmth, and sauté the onion, celery and mushrooms. Prepare dinner till they’re tender, about 8 minutes.
Add within the garlic and thyme, and stir for yet another minute, simply till aromatic.
2. Add the quinoa. Together with the broth, salt, and pepper. Convey the liquid to a boil, then decrease the warmth and canopy to prepare dinner till the quinoa is fluffy, about quarter-hour.
If the quinoa isn’t completely cooked after quarter-hour, preserve it coated however flip off the warmth and let it relaxation for 10 extra minutes. That is often sufficient time for the remainder of the liquid to be absorbed, with out something sticking to the underside of the pan.
3. Get pleasure from! Fluff the quinoa with a fork, and alter any seasoning, as wanted. I wish to stir in some chopped pecans at this level, for added crunch and texture, then you may serve this heat straight away.
Leftovers may be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Knowledgeable Suggestions & Frequent Questions
Do you serve it scorching or chilly? You’ll be able to go both manner with this dish! I often wish to serve it heat the day I make it, however I’ll eat the leftovers chilly for lunch the following day.
Do you need to rinse quinoa? I do advocate rinsing quinoa on this recipe, as a result of it could possibly assist take away some bitterness. Nevertheless, some manufacturers might say “pre-rinsed” on the field, and in that case, you may skip it.
Which veggies pair effectively with quinoa? The mushrooms, garlic, and thyme on this recipe are my favourite, however I’ve additionally made a model with crimson bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, and floor cumin as an alternative of the thyme. For the southwest taste, you may add black beans and avocado on high.
Extra Quinoa Recipes to Attempt
Have extra quinoa to make use of up? Attempt these fan favorites under!
Finest Quinoa Pilaf
This quinoa pilaf is made with mushrooms and thyme, and makes the right facet dish or vegetarian primary course. It is a full supply of plant-based protein!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 T freshly minced)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 teaspoon nice sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecans , chopped (non-obligatory)
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet (that has a lid) over medium-high warmth, and add within the onions, celery, and mushrooms. Saute till tender, about 8 minutes. Add within the garlic and thyme, and stir simply till aromatic, about 1 extra minute.
Pour the quinoa right into a nice mesh seive and rinse effectively, to assist take away any bitterness. Pour the drained quinoa into the skillet, together with the broth, salt, and pepper. Convey the liquid to a boil.
When the liquid is boiling, decrease the warmth and canopy the pan with a lid. Let it prepare dinner till the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about quarter-hour. If the quinoa is not completely tender in that period of time, take away the pan from the warmth and preserve it coated for 10 extra minutes. The quinoa needs to be tender by then, with out something burning to the underside.
Take away the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Regulate any seasoning to style, and stir within the pecans for added crunch. Serve heat straight away. Leftovers may be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. (It is scrumptious chilly for lunch the following day, too!)
Be happy to swap the veggies for any others that you’ve got readily available.
Energy: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 9g | Fats: 15g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8g | Sodium: 605mg | Potassium: 648mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 114IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 3mg
For those who do this Quinoa Pilaf recipe, please depart a remark and star ranking under letting me know the way you prefer it!
Reader Suggestions: What else do you wish to make with quinoa?