This Creamy Cajun Pasta is a simple weeknight meal, with all of the spicy Cajun taste you like. When you style it, it’s laborious to imagine that the sauce is dairy-free!
Why You’ll Love It
- It’s tremendous flavorful. I can’t imagine how a lot taste you possibly can pack right into a easy pasta dish. You need to use a ready Cajun seasoning if you wish to (in that case, use much less salt!) however all you want is 5 fundamental spices to create your personal at house.
- Simple components. All you want is a handful of easy components to make this sauce: a can of diced tomatoes with inexperienced chilies and cashews make the cream sauce come collectively. No specialty vegan components, like dietary yeast, are required.
- It’s customizable. You get to manage how spicy this dish is. The primary time I made it, I used an excessive amount of cayenne pepper and my nostril was working all through dinner. However, if that’s what you want, be at liberty to extend the spice!
- It’s veggie-packed. After I make a pasta dish, I prefer to guarantee that at the very least half of my plate is crammed with veggies, so this one contains bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and the diced tomatoes. You may take it a step additional by changing half the pasta with shredded cabbage, as I do in my Peanut Noodles or Vegan Pad Thai recipes.
That is such a enjoyable twist for pasta evening! I hope you’ll love the flavour as a lot as I do.
Learn how to Make It
- Cook dinner the pasta. Deliver a pot of salted water to a boil (I add a tablespoon of salt to the water) and cook dinner the pasta in response to the instructions on the package deal.
- Saute the veggies. In a separate skillet, saute the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Preserve this on medium-low warmth, so that you’ll have time to stir collectively the Cajun spice mix, with out worrying in regards to the veggies burning.
- Stir collectively the spices. In a small bowl, add within the garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir effectively, till it seems evenly blended. You’ll add this to the veggies when they’re tender.
- Make the sauce. Open a can of diced tomatoes and inexperienced chilies, then drain the juices from that may right into a blender. Add within the water, cashews, and salt, and mix till easy.
- Combine all of it collectively. Drain the pasta and set it apart briefly when it’s completed. Add the spice mix to the veggies and stir effectively to coat them, then add within the diced tomatoes, cooked pasta, and the cream sauce. Stir effectively, and modify any seasoning to style, including extra salt or cayenne pepper, as wanted.
- Get pleasure from! Serve heat instantly, with some chopped inexperienced onions or contemporary cilantro on prime.
This dish has loads of protein if you use a chickpea pasta (I like Banza model) however you can even add every other protein you want.
A real Cajun pasta would in all probability have shrimp or sliced sauce added in, so be at liberty to make it your personal, nevertheless you see match.
- Learn how to change the cashews: In case you have a cashew allergy, I think about utilizing hemp hearts could be a superb nut-free substitute. Or, you would use a pair tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, in the event you don’t want a dairy-free dish. (In that case, omit the water & mixing step of this recipe.)
- Learn how to change the mushrooms: I do know not everyone seems to be a fan of mushrooms, even when they may help prevent mild cognitive impairment. You may swap them for thinly sliced zucchini, in the event you like, or strive including in some shredded cabbage, which I feel blends into this sauce properly.
- Learn how to change the diced tomatoes: If you happen to can’t discover diced tomatoes with inexperienced chilies, you should use common diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes, or strive including in a pair tablespoons of tomato paste, as an alternative. The tomato taste actually brings this sauce to life, but when you should keep away from them for some motive, you would additionally add in a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for an alternate acid taste.
I’d love to listen to about the rest you strive with this recipe, too! It’s very versatile, so be at liberty to make use of what you could have available.
Creamy Cajun Pasta
This Cajun Pasta recipe is of course dairy-free, and also you get to manage the spice stage! It is vegetarian as written, however you possibly can customise it with any add-ins you like.
- 8 ounces penne pasta (gluten-free, if wanted)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (12 grams)
- 1/2 crimson onion , chopped (140 grams)
- 2 bell peppers (I exploit crimson & inexperienced; 128 grams every)
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms , chopped (117 grams)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with inexperienced chilies , reserve juices for sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked cashews (65 grams)
Cajun Spice Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (or common paprika)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
Deliver a pot of water to a boil (I add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water), then cook dinner the pasta in response to the instructions on the package deal. When it is completed cooking, drain and put aside.
Whereas the pasta is cooking, warmth the olive oil in a separate giant skillet. Saute the onion, peppers, and mushrooms till they begin to soften, about 5 to eight minutes. Season the veggies with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt as you stir, and preserve this on medium-low warmth, so you possibly can stir collectively the spice mix because the veggies cook dinner.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the Cajun spice mix. Begin with only a pinch of Cayenne pepper, as a result of you possibly can all the time add extra later, however you possibly can’t undo spice! An 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper makes this dish fairly spicy, so I like to recommend beginning with lower than that.
To make the creamy sauce, drain the juices from the can of diced tomatoes immediately into your blender. To this, add within the cashews, a 1/4 cup of water, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix till very easy, with no seen cashew items remaining.
As soon as the veggies are tender, add within the spice mix and stir briefly. Then, add within the creamy sauce and the pasta, and toss effectively.
Style the pasta, and modify any seasoning, as wanted. You may add extra salt to spice up the flavour, some freshly floor black pepper, and one other pinch of cayenne pepper, in the event you like issues spicier, or a little bit extra smoked paprika, for extra of a smoky taste. Serve heat, with any further garnishes you want. (I added chopped inexperienced onions and cilantro.) Leftovers could be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Vitamin data is for 1 of 4 servings. This data is routinely calculated, and is simply an estimate, not a assure.
Energy: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 12g | Fats: 12g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 516mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1925IU | Vitamin C: 77mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg
If you happen to do this Cajun Pasta, please depart a remark under letting me know the way you prefer it. And in the event you make every other modifications, I’d love to listen to about these, too. I actually admire your suggestions!
Reader Suggestions: What sort of most important entrees would you prefer to see subsequent?