Eggplant Pizza is a low-carb various to the normal model, utilizing sliced eggplant because the pizza crust. You’ll get pleasure from all of the pizza taste you like, whereas getting additional veggies in every chew. Plus, you don’t have to combine collectively a pizza dough!
I initially got here up with this recipe again in 2011, once I was craving an English muffin-style pizza that I used to make as a child. I figured, sliced eggplant was the same form to an English muffins, so why not attempt utilizing it as a pizza base?
The result’s positively not as sturdy as a conventional pizza crust (I are inclined to eat these with a knife and fork) however it’s lots much less labor intensive than making my well-known cauliflower pizza crust, and even an almond flour pizza crust.
What You Must Know About Eggplant
- What does eggplant style like? It has a light, comparatively impartial taste when it’s cooked. It has a gentle, creamy texture, that makes it a gentle pizza crust, however it contributes little or no taste to this total dish, even whenever you go away on the pores and skin!
- When is eggplant in season? Eggplant is in season from July to October. You probably have any additional eggplant available, you’ll want to additionally attempt my straightforward Ratatouille recipe.
- Does it have well being advantages? Analysis means that consuming eggplant might assist to protect heart function, they usually may play a task in blood sugar regulation.
- Are you able to eat the pores and skin? Sure! Eggplant pores and skin is completely edible, and whenever you purchase smaller-sized eggplants, the pores and skin needs to be very tender and straightforward to chew.
Find out how to Make Eggplant Pizza
- Slice the eggplant. Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the eggplant into rounds, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. (The thinner you slice it, the extra flimsy the pizza will probably be.) There’s no must peel the eggplant; I discover that the peel helps them maintain their form higher.
- Bake. Organize the sliced eggplant on the lined baking sheet, and evenly brush the tops with oil. (That is non-compulsory; skip in case you choose to cook dinner with out oil.) Sprinkle with salt, then bake till the eggplant is definitely pierced with a fork, about quarter-hour.
- Add the toppings. Take away the eggplant from the oven, and add the toppings. Begin together with your favourite marinara sauce, then add on the cheese and another veggies or meats that you just like. Return the pan to the oven to let the cheese soften, about 5 to eight extra minutes.
- Take pleasure in! Use a spatula to serve the eggplant pizzas, and luxuriate in them heat. I normally serve these with a knife and fork, but when they calm down sufficient to deal with, you too can fold them in half to eat together with your palms. (Just like consuming a taco.)
Eggplant pizza will be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. To reheat, place the pizza in a preheated oven to heat up for five to 10 minutes at 400ºF.
Ideas for Working with Eggplant
- Slice crosswise. I discover eggplant the simplest to work with whenever you slice it into circles, relatively than lengthwise. The ensuing eggplant pizza is smaller, however not so flimsy to eat!
- Don’t peel it. It’s not needed and can prevent time! Plus, there are antioxidants of their pores and skin known as anthocyanins, which contribute to their vibrant purple shade.
- Make it much less soggy. You may let the eggplant “sweat” by salting it and letting it relaxation for 30 to 60 minutes forward of time. Once you’re able to cook dinner it, rinse the salt off with water and dry properly. I by no means take the time to do that, and I’m nonetheless happy with the eggplant pizza, however be at liberty to experiment with it!
- Select smaller eggplants. The smaller ones are usually much less bitter, with thinner pores and skin and fewer seeds.
In search of different methods to fulfill your pizza cravings? Strive Cauliflower Steak Pizzas or Zucchini Boat Pizza for the same veggie-forward idea, or attempt my Almond Flour Pizza or Socca Pizza for extra of a conventional crust.
As a substitute of utilizing marinara sauce, you may make a pesto eggplant pizza, utilizing your favourite pesto sauce. Strive my Zucchini Pesto, Broccoli Pesto, or Kale Pesto if you wish to change issues up!
Eggplant pizza is a low-carb various to the normal model, that includes sliced and roasted eggplant, loaded up together with your favourite pizza toppings. It is simpler than stirring collectively a pizza dough!
Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the eggplant crosswise, making spherical slices which are roughly a 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. (The thinner you slice them, the extra flimsy they are going to be, however the quicker they’ll cook dinner.)
Organize the slices in a single layer on the baking sheet, and evenly brush the tops with olive oil. Sprinkle every slice with salt, then bake till the slices are tender and simply pierced with a fork, about quarter-hour.
Take away the eggplant from the oven and add the marinara sauce and cheese to every slice. (I exploit roughly 2 teaspoons of sauce and a pair of tablespoons of cheese per piece; this may fluctuate by measurement, although.)
Return to the oven to bake till the cheese is melted, about 5 to eight extra minutes. Serve heat immediately, with contemporary basil on prime, if desired. Leftovers will be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. To reheat, preheat the ove to 400ºF and bake untill every little thing is scorching, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Vitamin data is for 1/4 of your complete recipe, about 3 slices of eggplant pizza. It will fluctuate primarily based on what number of slices you get out of your eggplant, and the toppings you select. This data is routinely calculated, and is simply an estimate, not a assure.
Energy: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fats: 8g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 4g | Ldl cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 214mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 234IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 1mg
When you do that Eggplant Pizza recipe, please go away a remark beneath letting me understand how you prefer it. And in case you make another modifications, I’d love to listen to about these, too!
Reader Suggestions: Do you will have another recipe requests for utilizing up eggplant?