This wholesome Flourless Chocolate Cake is made with 5 easy components and makes a powerful dessert to carry to a celebration. It’s wealthy & fudgy, and naturally gluten-free!
This cake recipe jogs my memory of a cross between brownies and fudge. It has a wealthy chocolate taste, and everybody who tastes it would ask for the recipe!
You may prime it with a dusting of powdered sugar or cacao powder, and serve it with contemporary fruit for a straightforward dessert. No flour required.
Substances You’ll Want
What’s in a flourless chocolate cake?
- Darkish chocolate chips
- Granulated sugar (I exploit coconut sugar)
- Cacao or cocoa powder
This cake is similar to the normal model, solely it’s made barely more healthy by utilizing much less total sugar, for a darkish chocolate taste. My household enjoys grass-fed butter and pastured eggs, however you might also wish to take a look at the substitution concepts beneath for a lower-fat dessert.
Tip: I exploit salted butter on this recipe, as I favor the flavour it provides. For those who use unsalted butter, chances are you’ll wish to add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt to this recipe, to spice up the general taste. Candy recipes want a bit of salt, too!
For those who’d like one other increase of taste, you possibly can additionally add a teaspoon of vanilla extract or espresso powder, which may generally elevate the chocolate taste much more.
Need to Make it Even More healthy?
I’ve been making this flourless chocolate cake for therefore a few years, I’ve tried a number of substitutions.
Listed here are some issues to strive:
- Make it dairy-free. Swap the butter for a 1/3 cup coconut oil. It will give the cake a touch of coconut taste, or you need to use refined coconut oil (additionally known as expeller pressed) which has no coconut taste. Alternatively, you need to use a vegan butter, should you favor.
- Make it decrease fats. Swap half of the butter for pumpkin puree. You can even do that with the coconut oil variation talked about above. The pumpkin has a impartial taste (in contrast to applesauce or banana, which I don’t suggest) so that you gained’t style it in any respect. I don’t suggest swapping ALL of the fats for pumpkin puree, or the feel will change extra considerably, however be at liberty to experiment with it.
- Make it egg-free. I don’t suggest utilizing an egg substitute for this recipe, as a result of the eggs present many of the construction, however you may take a look at my vegan chocolate tart for the same dessert made with out eggs or dairy.
- Sweeten with honey. For those who’d wish to keep away from all refined sugar, you may swap the darkish chocolate chips for unsweetened baking chocolate and change the coconut sugar with 3/4 cup honey, as an alternative. I haven’t examined this recipe with maple syrup but, so I couldn’t let you know if it would work with one other sweetener.
- Cut back the sugar. I’ve examined this recipe with solely 3/4 cup of coconut sugar, and it’s not fairly candy sufficient for my household once I use 72% darkish chocolate chips as the bottom. Nonetheless, should you use a sweeter darkish chocolate (within the 50-60% vary) you might be able to use much less coconut sugar. Or, should you use semi-sweet chocolate, chances are you’ll solely want a 1/2 cup of added sugar. Be happy to experiment with it!
Find out how to Make Flourless Chocolate Cake
1. Soften the chocolate.
Preheat the oven to 375ºF so will probably be able to go, then place the chocolate chips and butter in a heatproof bowl. Soften them collectively utilizing a double boiler over the range (or the microwave, should you favor) and stir till clean.
I make a double boiler by filling a small saucepan with 1-inch of water, then carry it to a simmer and place the warmth secure bowl on prime of the pan. It ought to completely cowl the highest of the saucepan, so the underside of the bowl will gently warmth up.
Set the bowl apart to chill barely, when you combine the opposite components.
In a big bowl, combine the coconut sugar, eggs, and cacao powder. Stir properly, then add within the cooled melted chocolate. (You don’t need it to be too scorching, or it might begin to prepare dinner the eggs!)
Use cooking spray to grease an 8-inch springform pan flippantly with oil, then pour the batter into the pan. For those who don’t have a springform pan, you too can use a spherical cake pan lined with parchment paper, to assist with straightforward removing later. (For those who solely have a 9-inch pan, that can work, too! It should merely produce a thinner cake and you may most likely scale back the prepare dinner time by 2 minutes or so.)
Bake the flourless cake at 375ºF for 20 to 22 minutes, or till the cake feels agency to a light-weight contact within the middle. Let it cool fully within the pan, for at the least half-hour earlier than serving.
It should agency up even sooner should you retailer it within the fridge, to assist it calm down.
Use a pointy knife to slice the cake into skinny items (as a result of it’s wealthy!) and serve it with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, or a scoop of ice cream, should you like. I feel it pairs properly with contemporary raspberries, or every other contemporary berries you want, to assist lower among the richness.
This cake ought to take away from the pan simply, however it could additionally barely stick with the knife as you slice it. Make sure you wipe-down your knife in between slices, should you’d wish to preserve them wanting fairly!
Favor a frosted cake? It’s not needed on this case, however you may add a straightforward vegan chocolate ganache on prime, should you’d like.
Storage Suggestions: You may put together this cake as much as 2 days upfront, and preserve it tightly lined within the fridge. Serve it chilled or let it come to room temperature for 1 hour, for the very best taste.
You can even retailer this flourless chocolate cake in an hermetic container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let it thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than serving it the following day.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
This flourless chocolate cake is made with 5 easy components and is of course gluten-free! It is wealthy and fudgy, and jogs my memory of a cross between brownies and fudge.
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease an 8″ springform pan with cooking spray.
In a heatproof bowl, soften the chocolate chips and butter collectively, stirring till fully clean. (You need to use a double-boiler for this, or the microwave in 30-second intervals.) Set it apart to chill barely.
In a big bowl, mix the coconut sugar, eggs, and cacao powder. Stir till clean, then add within the cooled chocolate. (Make sure that it is not too scorching, so it does not begin to prepare dinner the eggs.) Combine till clean.
Pour the chocolate batter into the greased pan after which bake at 375ºF till the middle seems to be agency, about 20 to 22 minutes.
Permit the cake to chill within the pan fully. You may velocity the method by putting it within the fridge to chill, if you might want to serve it in underneath 2 hours. You can also make this cake as much as 2 days upfront and retailer it tightly lined within the fridge till you are able to serve. I like to recommend bringing it to room temperature on the counter for at the least 1 hour for the very best taste. Serve with shaved chocolate on prime, for a reasonably presentation, or a sprinkle of cacao powder or powdered sugar, should you favor. You can even freeze this cake, tightly lined, for as much as 3 months.
For a lower-fat cake, swap half of the butter for pumpkin puree as an alternative. You may’t style the distinction in any respect!
For a dairy-free cake, use coconut oil as an alternative of butter. I like to recommend utilizing solely a 1/3 cup of coconut oil in that case. Or, use a 1/4 cup oil + a 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, for a decrease fats choice.
For an egg-free cake, take a look at my Vegan Chocolate Tart, as an alternative.
For those who favor a honey-sweetened cake, use 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate as an alternative of the darkish chocolate, and change the granulated sugar with 3/4 cup honey. This model positively has a honey-flavor, however it’s nonetheless met with rave opinions! (I’ve not examined this cake with maple syrup, so experiment at your personal threat.)
Energy: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 13g | Saturated Fats: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 324IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg
For those who do this gluten-free chocolate cake, please go away a remark and star ranking beneath, letting me understand how you prefer it.