Coconut butter is a creamy coconut unfold, created from only one ingredient– dried coconut! It may be fairly costly to purchase on the retailer, so right now you’ll learn to make it at house in simply minutes, for a fraction of the value.
What’s coconut butter? Identical to peanut butter is created from floor peanuts, and almond butter is created from floor almonds, coconut butter is created from floor coconut. Remember to use shredded, unsweetened coconut for the most effective outcomes.
You don’t wish to use the sweetened coconut that’s utilized in conventional baking, because it’s too moist and has added sugar.
What You Have to Know About Coconut Butter
- What’s the distinction between coconut oil and coconut butter? Coconut oil is extracted from the plant, so it has no fiber and is in liquid kind when melted. Identical to almond oil or peanut oil are extracted from their respective nuts, with a liquid consistency. Coconut butter is created from pulverized coconut, so it consists of the fiber, and has a thicker texture, much like a nut or seed butter.
- It can change with the temperature. Coconut butter has a runny, drippy consistency when it’s heat, and may be very thick and agency when it’s saved in a cooler temperature.
- It has a gritty texture. Regardless of how drippy and runny it appears to be like, coconut butter has a gritty texture from the entire fiber it incorporates. The mouthfeel may be shocking, if you happen to’re not ready for it.
- Selfmade is cheaper. An 8 ounce bag of shredded coconut is roughly $3.50 in my space, making a 16 ounce jar of selfmade coconut butter about $7. A 16 ounce store-bought jar runs between $11-15 at my native shops, so it’s positively a big financial savings!
- How lengthy does it final? You’ll be able to retailer coconut butter in an hermetic container at room temperature for not less than a month, so long as you don’t introduce any moisture into the jar. (Make certain the utensils you utilize within the jar are very dry and clear!) To be on the secure aspect, you possibly can retailer it within the fridge, however simply needless to say the coconut butter will flip rock-solid when chilled. I normally soften a portion of it with a purpose to use it in recipes once more. Coconut butter can final in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 months, while you preserve the moisture out.
- Methods to measure it. Since coconut butter companies up identical to coconut oil, I like to recommend melting it with a purpose to measure it for recipes. You are able to do this by sticking the jar in a bowl of extremely popular faucet water for 10 to fifteen minutes, or you possibly can take away a portion of the stable coconut butter and soften it over a double boiler on the range.
What does coconut butter style like? Coconut butter tastes like straight coconut. It’s evenly candy and nutty, and I discover it to be very nice! However, if you happen to’re not a coconut fan, this recipe in all probability isn’t for you.
Methods to Make It
- Begin with dried coconut. Be sure you’re utilizing a model with no different added elements. The one merchandise on the label needs to be dried coconut, with no added sugar or flavors. For the most effective outcomes, use 16 ounces of dried coconut, so the machine could have sufficient quantity to maintain all the things shifting. (Don’t use much less, until your machine’s capability is lower than 12 cups.)
- Course of. Pour the shredded coconut right into a meals processor fitted with an “S” blade. In my expertise, it’s simpler to make nut butters in a meals processor, fairly than a blender, however on this case you possibly can in all probability use a blender, too, so long as you don’t thoughts stopping to scrape down the edges so much. Begin processing, and let the machine run for five minutes or so.
- Scrape & Hold Processing. Cease and scrape down the edges, when you see that the coconut is beginning to turn into extra of a paste consistency. You don’t wish to miss any coconut items which might be caught on the edges. Then safe the lid and preserve processing, till the coconut butter may be very runny in texture. This shouldn’t take greater than 10 minutes in whole.
- Get pleasure from! As soon as the coconut butter has a drippy consistency, it’s prepared to make use of. You should use this as a ramification on toast or waffles, or in your favourite recipes so as to add extra fiber. Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as a month at room temperature, or for as much as 3 months within the fridge.
As a reminder, it’s essential to maintain moisture out of your coconut butter jar for finest storage outcomes. I don’t suggest including in any flavorings right here, and all the time use a clear, dry utensil to take away the coconut butter, so that you don’t introduce any moisture or micro organism into the jar.
Methods to Use it in Baking
In the event you’re occupied with oil-free recipes, coconut butter can be utilized as an alternative choice to coconut oil in sure conditions. I wouldn’t use it as an oil substitute for sautéing something, however you possibly can swap it for butter or oil in baking, for extra fiber in every chunk.
The outcomes will probably be barely completely different, so that you may wish to ease into issues by changing solely half of the oil or butter in a recipe with coconut butter, to see the way you prefer it. And I definitely wouldn’t take a look at this on firm for the primary time!
I’ve examined it instead in my Vegan Fudge recipe, and it really works adequately in that case. The result’s positively extra fibrous in texture, so it’s not one thing I might serve dinner visitors, however my household gobbles it up!
Recipes that Use Coconut Butter
Questioning methods to take advantage of your selfmade coconut butter? Listed below are some concepts!
I’d love to listen to how else you may use it, too!
Methods to Make Coconut Butter
This is methods to make coconut butter, that’s fast and reasonably priced. All you want is 1 ingredient and about 10 minutes of time!
- 16 ounces shredded unsweetened coconut (about 4 1/2 cups)
Pour the shredded coconut into the bowl of a big meals processor fitted with an “S” blade, and start processing. After 5 minutes, cease and scrape down the edges of the bowl, to ensure all the things is integrated evenly.
Proceed processing, till the coconut turns into extra runny. After 2 to three extra minutes, it needs to be far more drippy in consistency, with a barely grainy look.
Proceed processing the coconut, till you hear a “sloshing” sound. This can be a signal that the coconut butter is way smoother. The grainy texture ought to solely be noticeable when a skinny layer is left in your spoon. It ought to take 10 minutes or much less to realize this texture, from begin to end.
Retailer the coconut butter in a sealed glass jar at room temperature for as much as a month. Remember to keep away from including any moisture to the jar for finest shelf life, and you’ll retailer it for as much as 3 months within the fridge, if you happen to desire. Please be aware that it’ll flip stable if saved in a cool place. You’ll be able to set the jar in a bowl of scorching water or soften it over a double-boiler to make use of it once more.
Diet data is for 1 ounce of coconut butter, or roughly 2 tablespoons. This data is routinely calculated, and is simply an estimate, not a assure.
Energy: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 18g | Saturated Fats: 16g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.9mg
In the event you do this coconut butter recipe, please depart a remark under letting me know the way it works out for you!
Reader Suggestions: Let me know when you have any particular recipe requests for coconut butter, and I’ll see what I can do.